The particular Sermon Prep Breakthrough Moment
I may be totally by itself in this, but my guess is that there are other pastors out there that will look for this moment each week.
It’s what I call the particular sermon prep breakthrough minute.
It’s that moment whenever everything begins to click. It’s the moment where the main idea of the passage aligns using the main idea of the sermon. It’s the moment where the assisting points align with the main idea of the sermon. It is the moment where a key representation comes to mind. It’s the moment where a big call to action begins to occur. It’s that moment exactly where my heart is stirred personally.
Everything seems down hill in my sermon prep once i reach this breakthrough time. For me personally, it takes a lot of work to get to this moment. My best guess is that about 2/3 of my time in sermon prep is trying to get to this breakthrough second, even though I write my sermon almost entirely in the final 1/3 of my sermon prep.
So , how can i arrive at this breakthrough minute?
- Pray. Sermon prep has to start here. You can’t prepare a sermon without complete dependence on the Holy Spirit.
- Read the passing over and over again. I love to print out the passage on a single sheet of document. I read it again and again until it seeps deeply into my heart.
- Study and research. There are many smart people who have either studied or investigated so much of the Bible. I understand I don’t know it all, therefore i love to learn from others.
- Spend some time alone with God meditating over the passage. I love to proceed a run with the concept of simply hearing from Our god about my sermon. My wife will most likely ask when I return from my run, “What did God tell you while you had been running? ” I love spending time alone with God whilst reflecting on the sermon passing.
- Write down as much as possible. That single page of paper that I mentioned above is where I write everything down. I always have it close by throughout my week since I never know when an additional piece of the sermon might come to mind.
- Pray some more. Just because you pray first doesn’t mean you don’t hope again. Pray some more.
How about you?
Am I by itself in this breakthrough moment? For individuals who prepare sermons, is this some thing you see each week? If so, how can you get to this breakthrough time?
The post The Sermon Prep Breakthrough Moment appeared very first on Church Answers.